Florence Shawl Class with Florence Spurling
We are so thrilled to welcome Florence Spurling, the designer of our wonderful Florence Shawl for Loop!
Florence will be joining us in person at Loop to show you the techniques used in creating the stunning knit flowers that are the star of this shawl.
This 3-hour class will cover the key techniques within the Florence Shawl pattern. Starting with the botanical-inspired trim, students will work modularly and use a mix of methods to create two flower ‘units’. Once the flowers are made, their live and edge stitches will be picked up to form the base of a garter stitch swatch that can double as a gauge swatch. As the crescent shape of the shawl is achieved through short rows, this method will also be explained and demonstrated by the instructor.
This is a workshop held at Loop with a maximum of 6 people.
Skills covered in the class:
- Working modularly
- 2 methods of making bobble stitches (crochet and knit method)
- Slip stitches
- Picking up live and edge stitches
- Shaping (within the flower ‘units’ and body of shawl)
Class time: 3 hours
Saturday 16th April 2022
11-2 pm & 3-6pm
Knit, Purl, Casting on and off
- If you are using the Florence Shawl kit, there is enough yarn to use for the class swatch.
- If you are not using the kit, you will need small quantities of sportweight yarn: Main Colour (for the garter stitch swatch body) and 4 Contrasting Colours (for the flowers ‘units’)
- 3.5mm / US 4 circular needle, 40cm / 16” length
- 3.75mm / US 5 circular needle, 40cm / 16” length
- 2.25mm crochet hook
- Waste yarn
- Tapestry needle
Florence Spurling is a British textile designer based in New York, where she runs her own design studio. Florence specializes in knitted textiles, embroidery and embellishment. She has a Masters from the Royal College of Art, London, and has taught at various institutions including Parsons, Pratt and FIT in New York.