Scout Shawl Class with Liz Baltesz
Join us and Liz Baltesz who will show us how to work the beautiful Scout Shawl designed by Florence Spurling!
Learn to knit colourwork as well as intarsia techniques to create this stunning shawl.
It's much easier than it looks so don't be intimidated. If you can knit and purl you can knit this!
Sunday February 6th
11am-5pm with a break. (5 hours of instruction)
In this class you will learn the techniques needed to knit the beautiful and innovative Scout Shawl by Florence Spurling Studio. This design uses the techniques of stranded knitting and intarsia to create a patchwork fabric, which can have a contemporary or vintage feel, depending on the colour palette.
You will learn how to:
*Choose yarns that are suitable for colour work
* Choose a colour palette for your project and different methods for testing if it works
* Knit with two colours, including an overview of different methods and the differences between working in the round and working with flat pieces
* Use intarsia to create neat transitions between the patches
* Manage multiple colours when knitting intarsia
* Read a colour work chart and keep track of your progress
During the class you will knit a swatch for the Scout Shawl, which uses all these techniques.
We will also discuss different traditions in stranded knitting and identify useful resources to build your ability to do stranded colour work and to inspire you. Finally, we will look at how you can apply the techniques used in this shawl to other projects.
Please bring with you:
- 3.5mm needles – either circular or straight. Ideally, bring smaller and larger needles too, in case your gauge differs from that in the pattern.
- Fingering weight yarn for your swatch. This can either be the yarn you plan to use for the shawl, or leftovers. At least 4 - 5 colours in small amounts would be good for the swatch.
We have a Limited edition Indigo Scout kit by Liz Baltesz for Loop!
* Liz has put together a beautiful naturally dyed version of the kit for us using Indigo. Kits for the Indigo version of the shawl will be available to purchase on the day.
*Yarn base is 75% Merino 25% silk 4 ply fingering all naturally dyed by Liz.
We also have the kit in the original colour way for you to purchase or you can use your own stash.
There is a 45-minute break for lunch (not supplied by Loop, but there are lots of places very nearby on Camden Passage and Upper Street) or you are welcome to bring your lunch.
Tea, coffee and cakes will be supplied.
* photos courtesy of Florence Spurling and Liz Baltesz
About the teacher:
Liz Baltesz is passionate about playing with colour in her knitting and has been doing colour work for over 30 years. You can see her work on instagram @liz.baltesz and on ravelry as lzi. After a corporate career trying to humanise leaders, Liz now focusses on building the skills and confidence needed to unleash knitters' creativity. Her love of colour extends to natural dyeing and she is making a limited number of indigo based kits for the Scout Shawl.
100% deposit is required at registration.
Photos are for reference only.
A full refund of payment for the class will be given for cancellations only if the spot can be filled by another student, minus a 10% admin fee. Please be considerate.
We reserve the right to cancel a class in unusual circumstances. We try to avoid this wherever possible, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. In this situation, of course, a full refund will be given.
We're sorry but Loop can not be financially responsible for extreme weather conditions or any other situations that are out of its' control.
If we need to cancel the class due to any unforeseen lockdown measures in London we will of course offer you a full refund or shop credit (whatever your preference is).